Buying an Old vs New Home in El Paso
Some people like the idea of moving into a home with an extensive history while others desire a never-been-touched, sparkling new home. Just like buying used clothes vs new ones, there can be pros and cons to both. If you buy a pair of used jeans, there’s a possibility they could have a few holes in them. When it comes to housing, older homes generally require more maintenance. New constructions are move-in-ready with modern appliances that won’t be breaking down anytime soon.
If you’re in the market to buy a home in El Paso, TX but can’t seem to decide whether an old or new home is right for you, we have insight into the pros and cons of both. Consider the following:
The Downside of Older Homes
Older homes can be undeniably charming or daunting, depending on how you look at them. One of the major downsides of buying an older home in El Paso is that you will be restricted to certain areas such as central, the east side but likely not passed Lee Trevino, or the west side. Since El Paso is experiencing major growth, new homes are being built all around town.
In addition to being limited when it comes to zip codes, older homes also have these major issues:
- High maintenance costs. Older homes are hardly ever move-in-ready and if they are, you can expect at least a few hiccups along the way. If the roof and plumbing system haven’t been updated recently, you’ll have to hire an inspector for safety reasons. Moreover, if the home has older appliances, you’ll want to consider replacing them with energy-efficient models.
- Smaller-scale. The majority of older homes can be smaller in square feet or feature large bedrooms with small kitchens and dining areas. Older homes also tend to have out of proportion rooms with one too many walls. If you’re looking for an open-concept kitchen and dining room, you’re certainly in for a renovation project.
- Less Energy-efficient. Along with higher maintenance costs, with an older home, you’ll be looking at a higher energy bill. The insulation in older homes makes them hotter during the summer and cooler in the winter. Unless the ventilation system has been updated recently, you can expect to heavily rely on a heater and air conditioner to make the temperature inside bearable.
The Benefits of New Models
Contrary to older models, if you buy a new home in El Paso, you can enjoy the following benefits:
- Move-in ready. For singles, couples, or new families, having a place that’s ready to enjoy can make all the difference. You can forget about replacing windows or spending the first few months tip-toeing around the old carpet. Within a few days (or weeks) of unpacking your stuff, you’ll be hosting a housewarming party for all of your friends and family.
- Personalization and more floor models to choose from. Buying a new home gives you the opportunity to customize from the very beginning. With various floor plan options, you don’t have to worry about hiring a contractor to make changes to the layout.
- Energy-efficient. New home models not only feature the latest appliances but they are built with energy-efficiency in mind. Step into a new home and you’ll immediately notice how the temperature feels almost perfect without the need for an air conditioner or heater. The insulation of modern homes helps keep them cool during the summer and warm during the winter. They also have systems in place that make adjusting room temperature much more efficient, saving you thousands on energy costs down the road.
Explore Other Benefits of Buying a New Home in El Paso, TX
At Pointe Homes in El Paso, we enjoy helping residents find a beautiful home to call their own. With multiple floor plans to choose from and many customization opportunities, the home you’ve been searching for is waiting for you! Connect with us today to learn more about our new home models.